24 August 2005

Reflection - Block 2 and Final

ReflectBlock2

I scanned the print from yesterday's session, printed it out, and drew on it to develop this second block. I love that this whole print will use only two blocks; quite a relief after my 8-block tea print!

ReflectPrintGrp3

First I printed the top part of the block, the orange "clouds." I didn't ink the birds because I wanted the birds only on the green side of the paper. Then I turned the paper 180 degrees and printed the clouds and birds on that side.

After that I printed the fish. I must confess that I had to carve the fish twice. The first time it I designed it too small; couldn't physically cut the details into the plywood. There's a whole thing I need to learn about scale in this medium. Shina plywood chips easily and small details are difficult. I'd like to try cherry plywood for details as my friend Tom has suggested. I also may just end up working larger, which is kind of an exciting idea to me. Here's the final print:

ReflectFinal Reflection

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love your prints... I am happy that you showed the progress photos. I haven't tried printing (yet). Woodblock seem so intimidating for an impatient person like myself! But I can see what you mean, about the impression of the wood... it lends so much that linoleum never could!
Lovely!

bee'nme said...

Very, very cool! I love your print, the process, everything! Thanks for sharing - nice work!

Frizz said...

This is brilliant. I love the concept and all the elements. Great inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, it developed into a very successful print! Thanks for showing us the process :)

Ellen Shipley said...

I so have enjoyed the whole series, start to finish. It just amazes me. Both this one and the tea pot are just lovely.

Thanx for sharing. 8-]

may said...

i love this image... it's very interesting to see the process behind it... thanks for sharing!

jim said...

Great work, executed with skill.

carla said...

This is so beautiful, and the process is really fascinating. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love the colors and the shapes...so gentle and soothing.

Cin said...

I love the simplicity of design and color and beautiful sense of movement from panel to panel, it's wonderful Annie!

Mindy Wilson said...

I have just joined the Barens group...funny to find that you are a I-Fri gal too. Okay, I have been behind in my participation. But YOU!!! are amazing, wonderful beautiful work. I cannot express how much I love your reflection image.

Mindy Wilson