01 November 2005

Relief Prints & Commercial Illustration

enos

I've been wondering how feasible it would be to use woodcuts for my own commercial illustration work, so I've set about to try to find some artists who do just that. Illustrator Randall Enos has been using linocuts in his work for over 40 years. I don't know if he prints a keyblock and then does color by hand or if he's doing multiple blocks, but he's got to be very fast with the medium to work with the types of clients he works with (magazines and newspapers among others). Since he wouldn't need to make an edition, just one good print to send to the client, I imagine he could spend most of his time on composition and carving. At any rate, his work is lovely, it really stands out from the crowd in the illustration field, and his 40+ years in the business is very impressive.

3 comments:

Cin said...

Hi Annie,

Do you know the work of illustrator Carey Sookocheff? It looks like linocut although I'm not 100% sure.

Rob Dunlavey said...

Annie,
Regarding Randall Enos, I think sometimes he prints multiples in different color inks on different color papers then collages the elements back into a rainbow-hued picture. Not sure where I heard that but it could be liberating as you don't get hung up on all the technical registration and multiple block cutting issues.
I like your work. I like relief printing in general.
--Robd

randall enos said...

Annie,
I just came across your blog. I'm Randall Enos and I just wanted to tell you that Rob Dunlavey is absolutely correct in his description of my process.I print on Pantone papers....or I did...because they have stopped production of that line of colored papers so I now put my color in on the computer after scanning in my linocut. I still have some papers which I use for my personal stuff. I have to work very fast sometimes creating an illustration from reading the manuscript through concept sketches and final approval to my finished color linocut in under 3 hours for markets like Time, Newsweek and the Wall St. Gerbil.Whew! Makes me tired just saying it. Not bad for a 70 year old eh? I've been doing it for 50 years.
Look at my web-site to see some of it. http://www.randallenos.com
My e-mail is: renos@optonline.net
Thanks for your interest in my work.
I think your stuff is just great by the way,
regards,
randy