15 January 2006

Carving Is the Easy Part

Carving#1

It's certainly not true of every block I've carved, but carving was the easiest part of this one. Everything I've carved away here will remain white, so the pigment I put on this block will define the background of the piece. I plan to continue experimenting with stencils, since I had such a good time working with a stencil on my last print.

I thought I'd have some free time for woodblock printing in the coming week, but a bunch of illustration work came in over the weekend, so it looks like I'll have to wait even longer before I can get rolling on this print. Balancing my moku hanga pursuits and my illustration work is difficult. Moku hanga necessarily takes a back seat to my paying jobs, but it's hard to keep setting aside the creative energy that gets stirred up every time I start to work on my prints. I feel like I have a huge backlog of ideas and enthusiasm for my prints. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to contain a tidal wave. I have 4 or 5 additional concepts for this series as well as a vision for another big series, and I'm chomping at the bit to keep the momentum going.

One interesting thing that's happening, though, is that I'm seeing a cross-pollination between my illustration and my printmaking. Last week I completed a job for This Old House magazine and it had a hummingbird in it as well as water falling in a way very reminiscent of the vertical lines in this rope. I wish I could post the illustration for you to see, but because it's for their March issue and because I've licensed "first North American publication rights" to them, I can't publish it until after they do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm really going to like this one....I love birds, and this imagery really speaks to me.

danielle said...

Oops, didn't realize blogger doesn't have a spot for "Anon" to leave name, info. This and previous post are from