02 January 2006

Thoughts On Blogging

It's six months since I started this blog, and I've been taking stock on this squeaky-clean new year's morning. I started Woodblock Dreams at the prompting of my friend Cindy Woods, whose illustrated blog I've always enjoyed immensely. When I told Cindy that I was going to be learning moku hanga she said, "It's an awful lot of work and you probably wouldn't want to do it, but that would be a perfect subject for a blog. Plus, it would give me the chance to look over your shoulder and watch you learn."

I was skeptical, as I don't like very many blogs, and my overall goal is to get away from the computer, not to get even more involved with it. But I gave it a try and I have to say, it's been a pleasant surprise. Here are some of the benefits I've found:

1. I get feedback on my work. And much of the feedback is real, solid, useful information from printmakers who have studied hard and know the techniques really well. These printmakers live all over our planet, yet they can "see" my work and help me. That help has been an amazing benefit, and I'm grateful.

2. I learn a tremendous amount simply by writing about my experiences. Articulating what I'm doing or trying to do and what does and doesn't work really helps anchor the experience for me.

3. I have all my musings as well as photo documentation of my explorations here in one place, so it's easy to go back and find links or info when I need it.

4. I'm meeting some really nice people.

Disadvantages? Only that it's time-consuming. All told, it's been worth the effort.
So I guess I'll keep doing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie good for you and better for us that you'll keep blogging. Although I don't comment often - printmaking is completely alien to me - I do visit regularly.

Detlef
http://www.detlefjumpertz.com

Patty said...

Same here Annie... I don't comment much but I do enjoy the process. I am amazing at your patience and really very impressed w/woodblock dreams. Most of all it is great documentation for you!