12 February 2006

Katie Baldwin



I've been seeing printmaker Katie Baldwin's name a lot lately, so I looked around on the internet and discovered that she has worked in the moku hanga technique. Katie's diary from her 2004 residency at Nagasawa Art Park on Awaji Island in Japan can be found at The Philadelphia Print Collaborative website along with a few samples of her work. I really like the simplicity and bold graphic quality of her moku hanga prints and would love to see more.

Hanga printmaker April Vollmer, who helped teach at that same Nagasawa Art Park session, has some beautiful photos of it on her website.

The Nagasawa Art Park program sounds fantastic: two months studying moku hanga in Japan! I'd love to go, but unfortunately there's an age requirement and I'm too old for the program. I have only one regret in my life, which is that I didn't come to moku hanga at an earlier age. Oh well, I'm a heck of a lot younger than Grandma Moses was when she started painting.

6 comments:

m.Lee said...

I have never done Moku Hanga, but I am interested in applying for that program in a few years when I meet the age requirement. Who knows that I will be doing with my art in two years?!?

Thanks for the tip and the beautiful art. btw, I love where you are going with your latest print.

Nels said...

Annie, I also have hopes to attend the Nagasawa Art Park program, and have noticed the age requirements or limits. I am approaching 60 years of age, and thus over the maximum allowable age. I do feel that they are discriminatory, and when the time is right I plan to apply and appeal their age restrictions. May passion for the medium, and desire to learn are very strong, and I see no reason why I won't have many, many good years yet to practice the medium.

Annie B said...

Nels, Nice to know that there are others in the 50+ crowd who are just starting out! I'll be interested to hear about what happens when you apply to the Nagasawa program.

coldcell said...

I have applied for that and am awaiting the results...I should know if I am at the 'halfway stage' of the selection process in the next week or so..

Jason

www.coldcell.co.uk

Annie B said...

Wow, good luck. I hope you get accepted.

coldcell said...

Well...and I am still quite shocked...I got accepted onto the residency...I am so looking forward to it and will be sure to keep a detailed blog of the couple of months that I am there...