18 February 2006

Song: For Illustration Friday

David Print

The Illustration Friday prompt this week is song, and the first thing I thought about was the church choir I've been singing with for the past year. Lately we've been doing a lot of a capella pieces, and I've marvelled at the skill of our conductor, David Kidwell. He knows how he wants each piece to sound, and I love how he coaxes it out of us with his eyes, his hands, his whole body. He's a magician of sorts, which is what I wanted to convey. I've also wanted to try working faster and more spontaneously with moku hanga, so I decided to try doing a woodblock portrait of David. I printed about 8 of these and tried a few different colors. It all took just about a half a day - a far cry from these week-or-more printing sessions I've been having. It doesn't quite look like David, but it sure was fun.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You're prints are developing really well and it has been interesting reading of your progress. This print is great.

Anonymous said...

The print is just perfect!

Alina Chau said...

lovely prints!

the silent k said...

I love conductors. they are like the kiving breathing embodiment of the music, it's magical to watch them. You illustration is great.