26 July 2006

Still At War

KollwitzEtc

A couple of weeks ago I went back to Smith College's Cunningham Center to see some woodcuts by German Expressionist artists -- Kathe Kollwitz, Franz Marc, Ernst Barlach and Lyonel Feininger. Since I don't know much about the German Expressionists, I asked my friend Alan, who does know, to come along with me. His comments were really useful in helping me understand the context from which these pieces arose.

I loved a piece by Lyonel Feininger called Dorf. The composition reminded me of Blanche Lazzell's views of Provincetown which I recently saw. Even more, I found Kathe Kollwitz's powerful depictions of the suffering of war quite chilling. Sadly, these works are just as relevant today as ever.

2 comments:

Michael Fraley said...

Thanks for the post, Annie. I'm a huge fan of Feininger's illustration and cartoon work - and this piece you have for us here reminds me very much of the sort of background he used to use in his "Kin-Der-Kids" comic page in the Chicago Tribune, way back in 1905, I think. During that period, the Tribune was importing some original work from Germany, and Feinginger's was the most successful from that short-lived time so long ago.

Annie B said...

Thanks for the tip, Michael. I didn't know Feininger had done cartoons. I just searched "Kin-der-Kids" in Google Images to get a feel for what you're describing -- very cool comics!