01 August 2006

Lots of Little Digs

This is a block for the next print in the Attitudes series. I never tried this particular way of carving before, just making a bunch of marks with my smallest gouge. I plan to print this block over another one, hopefully to get some interesting color overlaps with the little cutouts. Actually, looking at the block now in this scan, I think I want to go back in and chop it up some more. As you can imagine, it's quite a satisfying feeling to make all these little digs.

3 comments:

Cin said...

no peeks of the total design? I'm so curious! I love this series can't wait to see what's next!

Hugo Sleestak said...

Annie, you gave me a smile this morning with the remark about the satisfying feeling you get from making all of those little gouge marks. I always tell people that a truly pleasurable part of printmaking for me is being able to come home from work and get out my frustrations by gouging away at a piece of wood or lino with my knives. Now, that may not be what you meant at all by what you said, but I find a certain amount of therapy in all of this delicately creative destruction anyway ...

Annie B said...

Michael, yes, that's exactly the satisfaction I meant: creative destruction! And Cin, I'll post my rough sketch later today so you don't have to wonder so hard.