20 August 2006

Wuon Gean Ho

 copyright Wuon Gean Ho

An article in the latest issue of Printmaking Today alerted me to the work of London-based printmaker Wuon Gean. The few pieces reproduced in black and white in the magazine were intriguing enough to send me to my computer to look up her website, but nothing could have prepared me for the sheer delight I felt when I saw the gorgeous moku hanga prints she creates. Prior to studying Japanese woodblock printmaking in Kyoto for several years under Professor Akira Kurosaki Wuon Gean also studied veterinary medicine, and the combination of these areas of expertise yields some beautiful prints that examine the interaction between humans and animals. Wuon Gean has a new show opening tomorrow in London for those of you who live nearby: Waterloo Gallery, 14 Bayliss Road, London SE1 21st-26th August 2006 12-6pm daily. Private views Tuesday 22nd 6.30-8.30pm and Saturday 26th August 3-5pm. Entry is free, all are welcome. I wish I could make it!

1 comment:

belindadelpesco.com said...

Wow Annie, Thanks for sharing your new discovery! Her work is wonderful! Look at that texture!