01 March 2007

Nana Shiomi

 © Nana Shiomi

I discovered Britain-based woodcut artist Nana Shiomi through an article in Printmaking Today magazine. She uses a combination of traditional moku hanga and more modern methods. Her web site is full of interesting information about techniques, the Japanese tradition of woodblock printing, and her own work, which is beautiful and evocative. 

I was especially interested to read on her website that she does intaglio with her woodblocks, something I've been trying to figure out how to do. I'm planning to try adding some intaglio lines to the "Melting" print and I'll be trying the method Shiomi briefly describes on her web site -- using a squeegee! Here are the intaglio lines I carved with a v-gouge. I'll let you know how it turns out. 


 

No comments: