28 February 2008

Mecca Border Design

MeccaBorderDesign

This is a photo of the border design for the Mecca print, transferred onto a new block and ready to be carved. The text along the top and sides is a calligraphic rendering in Kufi script (like the Mohammed square already printed) of a set prayer or invocation that appears at the beginning of each chapter of the Qur'an. Spelled variously as Basmalah or Bismillah, it is translated as bi'sm Allah ar-rahman ar-rahim, “in the name of Allah, most gracious, most compassionate.” "Bismillah" is spoken as a gesture of respect and acknowledgement before undertaking a number of activities, including prayer, eating, and as a general expression of sincerity.

Here is a close-up of the script with carving under way. I've flopped the photo so that it reads correctly, although it's reversed on the block:

Basmalah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, your carving looks so cool. I am inspired to incorporate text into one of my own prints. Thanks for sharing.

Ellen Shipley said...

Wow. That's amazing looking. Very delicate. Thanx. 8-]

Steve Emery said...

Annie, I've been watching your blog for well over a year now. I finally felt moved this evening to say how important it has been to me that you share the work, the inspiration, the process... Your blog was a part of getting unblocked as an painter, myself, and I keep coming back to re-energize my inner artist from time to time. I love your prints, your creative methods, and how it all has evolved over time. Many thanks.

Annie B said...

Thanks serendipity. Text is fun to work with, although working in a foreign language can be a bit challenging!

Ellen, thanks. Hey, I saw your print on Drawn.ca last month! Awesome!

Steve, thank you so much for speaking up and saying hello. Your watercolors are beautiful and your words very meaningful.