07 August 2008

Three Prophets Folios

Folios

Today I picked up the folios that were made for me by Easthampton, MA, bookbinder Sarah Creighton. The cloth Sarah used is a Japanese book cloth, and in addition to the luscious blue and maroon folios shown above, there's also an orange-gold version.

Unfortunately, Sarah doesn't have a web site, but her studio, located in an old factory building that has a river literally running underneath it, is magical. The first time I visited I could barely concentrate on what she was saying I was so enthralled with all the little books and boxes and tools and papers lying about. Among her other numerous credits, Sarah and another bookbinder along with 10 apprentices spent three years binding 450 editions of the Bible that Barry Moser illustrated, which was released in 1999.

Sarah made 15 folios for me, so prints 1–15 of each of the Three Prophets will be sold in these folio sets. Each folio also has a letterpress printed title sheet with artist's notes written and designed by me and printed by Art Larson of Horton Tank Graphics in Hadley, MA. I picked up the title pages today, too.

TitlePage

I'm extremely happy with how these folios have turned out. Tomorrow I mail out prints and folios to Cullom Gallery for the show in September-October.

4 comments:

Leslie Moore said...

The folios are absolutely lovely, Annie! You must be so pleased. I hope you won't sell ALL of them before November so that you can show them to the participants in your Moku Hanga workshop. ME, in other words. I'd love to actually see and touch them.

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

really enjoy seeing these folios....and I envy those who are to participate in your Moku hanga workshop....such beautiful work these folios and I do understand that you are pleased with them....

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Classy presentation!

Annie B said...

Thanks much!