30 September 2008

Faux Silk

I wanted to reference China's fantastic art history and was drawn to the tradition of silk painting. Here's an example of Qing Dynasty silk painting from around 1650 -1700:

SilkPainting

My thought was to make a pattern that might suggest fabric like the photo above. I started by laying down some yellow/gold:

YellowUnderlayer

Then I did a couple of passes with a dirty brown color. I used a lot of rice paste, which makes the brush marks show, and used a brush with large firm bristles -- a nail brush! The first pass was done with vertical brush marks and the second with horizontal brushing. Here's the result:

FauxSilk

FauxSilkCloseup

8 comments:

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

like it a lot...this is so great.....gives such a feeling of collision...nice using tthis kind of brush...the art of it is just to know what is working and how it will turn up...splendid..

jen hook said...

Absolutely stunning!

TheGruche said...

Great texture, Annie. I've been curious about how one might approximate that cool aged silk look.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Perfectly yummy! And rather cleaver as well.

Lana Lambert said...

What does your binary say?

Annie B said...

Thanks, all! Lana, I made up the binary. If it says something, I'll be very frightened.

mizu designs said...

I love the goma suri type texture of printing like this. In fact most of my prints are made in this style.

Anonymous said...

Fab texture and I'd love it if your binary said something!