20 November 2008

I Like It

BoatProof2

Here's a proof of the Mayflower block. It's a little mottled because I didn't feel like mixing up a whole batch of rice paste just for a few proofs. I used a green tint that was already mixed up from another print and took the opportunity to test a new paper called Kozoshi that I bought from Graphic Chemical and Ink. It's a thin paper and I'm not sure how well it would hold up over multiple impressions, but it's sized, it's a pretty color and it's kind of parchment-like. I'm going to bring it to the moku hanga workshop I'm teaching at Zea Mays Printmaking this weekend so the students can give it a whirl. I'm also bringing Shin Torinoko from McClain's Printmaking Supplies, which hanga artist Mary Brodbeck recommended as a good reliable student paper. Here's the Mayflower printed on Shin Torinoko. It's a fairly heavy, bright white paper that takes the ink beautifully, even without rice paste.

BoatProof1

I'm looking forward to teaching this weekend. There are 10 people signed up, a full house! I'll let you know how it goes...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, very nice. :)

Eli Griggs said...

I like that green ink, the print looks good.

Anonymous said...

It looks good! Have a good workshop!

Diane Cutter said...

I love it, Annie. I thought the block was stunning and the proof is every bit as wonderful.

I read you comments about feeling connected with your ancestors; I've had the same feelings, like bits of these people are incorporated into who I am and how I perceive things. I find myself reading histories of that period. We were Mayflower but does 20 years later count?

Thank you for the paper suggestion. I'm always on the lookout for new, interesting papers.

Diane Cutter said...

Oops.. can't edit... meant to say 'were not' instead of 'were'...

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I like it too :~) Have great workshop.