02 June 2010
Test Driving the New Studio
My nephew Chris and his longtime girlfriend Heather are getting married in a couple of weeks. They used a black and white damask motif for all their invitations and stationery, so I thought it would be nice to make a little woodcut based on that pattern that could be given to guests as a keepsake.
Here's the happy couple. Now in their mid 20s, they met in high school, so we've known Heather for a long time. She already feels like part of the family but we're thrilled to be making it official. Lucky for us they don't read my blog, so I can show you everything.
I set up my little carving easel and both of my bench hooks, as I wasn't sure what height I'd want to set the block at. I ended up using the smaller bench hook (left).
Here's a closeup of the block with the computer-composed sketch pasted on. Usually I use wheat paste to glue the sketch to the block, but I happened to have some rice paste left from a class I was teaching so I used that this time. I won't do that again, as the rice paste didn't seem to have as much strength as wheat paste. The paper peeled too easily just from the pressure of the knife blade. I had to be more careful than usual.
Here's the block all carved and ready to print.
I slipped here at the end of the job and had to do a repair. I use Super Glue as it doesn't soften when wet.
By the end of the carving session the studio barely looked messy. I guess it's because this block is only about 5 x 5 inches. A nice small project for a studio "test drive."
As usual my studio assistant Ty was unperturbed by wood chips falling on the floor or on him.
Tomorrow I'll try out printing.