06 June 2010

Woodblock Demo at Eric Carle Museum

CarleDemo
photo by Melody Knight Leary

On Saturday I participated in a panel discussion at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Arts in Amherst, MA, and after the panel I spent an hour in the museum's art studio demonstrating the Japanese woodblock technique.

The panel audience was fairly small, but I was delighted when Connecticut printmaker Melody Knight Leary introduced herself to me before the panel began. We've had an online relationship for over a year but had never met in person, so seeing her was a surprise and a real treat.

For the demonstration, I pulled out a set of 3 small blocks from 2005 that I used for the print called "Breathing Buddha." Back then I had done the print in greens and blues so I decided it would be fun to do the reprint in golden summer colors. Here's a shot of the old and new versions.

SummerBuddha

I'm glad I chose very simple blocks, as most of the observers in the demonstration space were children and their parents. The Eric Carle Museum is a gorgeous building in a stunning natural setting and I enjoyed my time there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the warm gold Annie, it is very much the colour that you see in reality. Really lovely.

SandyS said...

Thank you for presenting a workshop at The Carle. We hope you will come back again!