01 December 2010

God's Walls

My plan for this Israel/Palestine print is to describe the situation using Old Testament Bible stories. Since the print is about a wall (Israel's separation wall), the story of Joshua and the Wall of Jericho came to mind.

JerichoWall1
First reduction for Wall of Jericho

Joshua was the leader of the Israelites after the death of Moses, and he led the 12 tribes in their conquest of Canaan (Israel). Their first battle was at Jericho, one of the earliest known walled cities in the world. In the Bible account God destroys the wall and as the huge stones fall they kill everyone inside the city, except a woman who who had helped the Israelites. Here's the passage:

1 Now the gates of Jericho were securely barred because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in. 2 Then the LORD said to Joshua, “See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men. 3 March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days. 4 Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams’ horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets. 5 When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, have the whole army give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the army will go up, everyone straight in.”

Joshua 6:1-5

I have to admit that I hope a loud shout and a blast on the trumpets will bring down Israel's separation wall someday.

JerichoWall2
Second reduction for Wall of Jericho

There's another wall of great importance in Israel which I won't be showing in this print but which I'll mention, namely the Western Wall, or Wailing Wall. Located in Jerusalem at the foot of the western side of the Temple Mount, this wall is a remnant of the wall that surrounded the ancient temple's courtyard. It's one of the most sacred sites in Judaism and also a source of strife between Muslims and Jews, as Muslims worry that the wall is being used to further Jewish nationalistic claims to Jerusalem and the Temple Mount, which Muslims also claim.

Israel seems to have a long history of wall issues.

MY next issue is this:

BarenRipped

For five years I've managed to wriggle out of this task by getting other people to do it for me, but it's finally time for me to learn to tie a baren cover. I won't be a real moku hanga-ka until I've done it, so wish me luck.

6 comments:

Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Hi Annie,
And there is another wall issue in regards to Jewish women not 'officially' allowed to wear tallitot (prayer shawls) and read from the Torah at the Wailing Wall. I'm all for walls that separate us to melt away.

Please show your new baren cover and knot and 頑張って!(ganmbatte :)

Annie B said...

I didn't know that, Nicole. Seems strange in the 21st century that women still can't participate fully in so many ways, but there you have it. がんばりますよ!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I use a lot of duct tape on the back to get things snug...my bad.

MaRegina said...

good luck!
kisses

Sharri said...

Love the wall idea - I think you could work on that theme probably forever, or more. On tying the baren - follow Dave's "how to" step by step and you won't have any problems. I tried to get my first one super tight and taped it on the top before it was dry and the darned thing split wide open. Just do what Dave says and you will be fine! Don't improvise ;-)

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

it look so intersting your work on progress....and I´m looking forward to further progress.... I enjoy following your way of working.....