27 March 2011

Like a Pendleton Blanket

So I decided I wanted the background of this American rivers print to look western, maybe vaguely like a Pendleton blanket. I chose some almost-garish earth tones (Pendleton uses some pretty wild colors) and used a series of masks and stencils that I cut from acetate. Here's a closeup of the first mask held in place with some artist's tape.


In this case, I pulled back the acetate, inked the block with orange, pulled the masks back onto the block, laid down the paper and printed.


I did this with two more colors, a green and then a light blue that created a darker green.


These photos were taken at night, so they aren't very good, but you get the idea. Printing a woodblock with stencils and masks gives you a funky edge -- blotchy if you ink and then mask, and feathery if you ink through a stencil. But it's one way to work from a single block without cutting into it.

Next I'll be carving some words.


Kim Rosen said...

Interesting process Annie. Looks great!

Rick Finn said...

It's nice to see your photos of this process. I experimented a bit with stencils recently and had some funky edges as well.

Ellen Shipley said...

I like the iconic Pendleton blanket. Great background. The stencils are a good idea.

donnaromero said...

Annie...love your stuff, and I have a quick question: I teach in a private school in Seattle and want to do white line prints. Last time I did it, years ago, we did it on clear pine but primed the surface first with something...glycerine?? methyl cellulose?? Do you prime your block first?
Hope you can help.
I am originally a long time Vermonter and love the Cape. Will be "home" this summer, maybe on the cape.
Donna Romero

Annie B said...

Hi Donna,
I don't prime my blocks, so I'm not sure what you'd use for white line printing. I've heard of priming blocks with shellac, also with tung oil, but I think that's mostly for making cleanup easier when using oil based inks. Sorry I can't help more. You could try searching BarenForum.org for info...