24 April 2012

Mixed Feelings #2: Lazy

Mixed2_Lazy

MIXED FEELINGS #2: LAZY
Japanese-method woodblock (moku hanga) with transfer drawing
Image size: 10.25" x 17" (26 x 43 cm)
Paper size: 12.5" x 19" (63.5 x 98 cm)
Paper: Shikoku White
Edition: 10
__________________________________

This print is the second in a series that examines cliches we have about money that use the same metaphor for both wealth and poverty. Here we have sayings that seem to indicate that both wealthy people and poor folks sit around doing nothing, so I decided to add a few weed-like plants to the background color field.

The print was made with one block of wood. I first used the block uncarved to lay down a golden tone, then I carved the words "Idle Rich" and laid down a couple of red tones and some spots of green and blue. After that I carved the weeds:

Mixed2_Weeds

After printing the weeds in another lavender red tone, I added the words "lazy poor" using transfer drawing as shown here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really love this series you are doing. Beautiful print!