17 December 2013

Dishfire


SECRET CODEWORDS OF THE NSA: DISHFIRE
woodblock print (mokuhanga)
6" x 6" (152.4 x 152.4 mm) on Kochi Kozo paper
edition: 20

D is for ‘dishfire.’ Dishfire is an NSA database. One of my sources says it's a database for text messages, but I can't be sure. I decided to simply draw it the way it sounds. In my first sketch I had the dish horizontal, as if sitting on a table. It looked like a chef had just delivered crêpe suzette flambé, but tilting the whole thing gave it the suggestion of a satellite dish, which seemed appropriate enough.

2 comments:

Andrew Stone said...

This is very dramatic. Great colors and movement. Nice rhythm developing visually after Blackpearl and your Cultweave prints.

Can I preorder the book.....?

Annie B said...

You're wise to me, Andrew. Won't it make a nice little 7 x 7 square Blurb book?