When I took a workshop with Karen Kunc almost a year ago at Anderson Ranch, one of the things I experimented with was using stencils with Akua and oil-based litho inks. I tucked that experience away in the back of my mind for future use, and this week the future arrived. I decided that instead of carving text, as I've done many times in the past, I would try stenciling it. And I decided to try using the same waterborne pigments that I use for the rest of my woodblock printing to print the stencils.
Given that so much water is involved in using these pigments, I chose to make my stencils out of acetate rather than cardstock or other paper. I used an X-acto knife to do the cutting. Here are the stencils after use:
And here are some closeups of areas of the print where I put the stencils.
I'm not saying that I'll never carve text again, but this method sure was faster!