31 July 2016

Relics Scroll 10: Time Stops for No One


For my RELICS exhibit, I made ten scrolls bearing American English platitudes that could be construed to have philosophical or spiritual meanings. See all of the scroll posts here.
________________

Like many of these cliches, "time stops for no one" urges us to move on and not linger in the past. It also suggests that we cherish the time we have, since we don't know when our lives will end. I was struggling to find a sub-text for this one when the poem Good Bones by Maggie Smith came across my Facebook page in the aftermath of the Orlando shooting. It's a beautiful poem if you haven't read it. I chose one line:
Life is short, and I’ve shortened mine in a thousand delicious, ill-advised ways
Haven't we all.

Tech notes: The background was printed on an uncarved wood block, the black circles printed in sumi ink through a stencil on the same block. The large text was stenciled through a hand-cut acetate stencil and the small text rubber stamped.

No comments: