04 February 2009

The Other Side of the Journey

I won't lie to you - one of the things I'm trying to accomplish with these Pilgrim prints is to economize my blocks by using them more than once. In this print, I plan to take the little clump of Pilgrims from my last print and put them in a new setting to represent where they ended up at the other end of their Mayflower boat ride.

Bradford writes of their arrival in the New World:
Being thus passed the vast ocean, and a sea of troubles before in their preparation, they had now no friends to welcome them nor inns to entertain or refresh their weatherbeaten bodies; no houses or much less town to repair to, to seek for succour... And for the season it was winter.

Trees

Later, Bradford describes the group that sets out to explore the first Cape Cod landing site and he says that they "fell into such thickets as were ready to tear their clothes and armor in pieces." So I've been carving the outline of some dense winter trees for the group of Pilgrims to wander through.

Notice in the center of this photo there's a very pronounced void in the second layer of this piece of shina plywood. This latest batch of shina from McClain's has had a lot of irregularities. I wonder if they have a new supplier. It's definitely tricky to work around a void like this.

4 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I feel rather sure the Pilgrims would WANT you to economize.......thanks for the heads up on less than perfect Shina, have you informed McClains? Love the tangled thicket texture.

Andrew Stone said...

I used shina for my last print and I too found it easy to carve with the toh but brittle and "shreddy" when I tried to clear with the Aisuki and it had lots of little knots in the layer below the glue.

Leslie Moore said...

What a tangled web you're weaving for your poor Pilgrims. They'll wish they'd stayed in decadent Holland!

Annie B said...

d.moll,l.ac., your comments always make me smile. Thanks :)
I did let McClain's know. They haven't changed suppliers, but were happy to have the info so they can chase down the problem. Which I know they will -- they're a great bunch of folks.
Andrew, I must confess that I never use my aisuki even though that's the traditional method of clearing up to the toh line. I just bully my way along with gouges! Even with gouges, though, I too have found that shreddy quality from time to time. The truly strange thing is when the "shredding" suddenly changes direction even though the wood looks the same.
Leslie, you do have to wonder what they were thinking!