29 April 2008

Back Saver

BackSaver

Hours and hours of carving lie ahead of me right now for this Lumbini (Buddha) print. To help my back stay pain free I've rigged up a little carving easel to hold the block more vertically, so I'm not bending over the block. My rig is not nearly as elegant as Graham Scholes' carving bench, but I don't have the woodworking skills to make a bench like his.

My setup is based on this adjustable tabletop easel from Dick Blick Art Supplies. I had to add a thin piece of plywood to the back of the easel to help it withstand the pressure of carving. Then I just drape a bench hook from McClain's Printmaking Supplies over the top of the easel and rest the block on the bench hook. I can't do heavy clearing this way -- for that I put the block down on the table -- but for detail carving like I'm doing, this is a back saver.

4 comments:

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

what a lovely workingplace...like your selfmade thing....and it´s worth it to take care and safe pains in your back....and carving can be hard work.....this place looks so nice....

Patricia Phare-Camp said...

Hey Annie: when I have a lot of clearing to do, especially on a large block, I simply stand at the kitchen counter. It's the perfect height to save my back and I can butt the block right up to the splash guard. I have some rubber flooring squares I bought at home depot, I put one or two down to cushion--a real back and foot saver!

Annie B said...

Hi Patti - You're right, a kitchen counter is a great height for clearing. Just have to watch out for wood chips getting into people's salad bowls!

Lynn said...

I like that your setup is so vertical. I found something at a garage sale that was like Graham Scholes device but not adjustible in angle and just drilled holes for the pegs and glued on strips of non slip pad. I like that it works at all angles.