21 May 2008
I Did It!
Tonight I sharpened my own hangi-to when the point broke off! This is a major victory, as I've been so sharpening-phobic. This time it was my little 3 mm knife that lost its point. The secret for me was simply taking my time. I started with the coarsest water stone I have and I looked at the knife under a magnifier every few minutes to check my progress. Once the knife had a point again, I moved to the regular "red" stone until the edge looked really smooth. Then I finished up with the fine grade stone. Not too bad - it took about 15 minutes, I think.
And now, finally, I have 3 blocks carved. Tomorrow I can start printing the Lumbini/Buddha print.