21 April 2010

The Cloud of Unknowing

FirstCarving

Today I printed the first background layers for my print of Pilgrim lovers John Alexander and Thomas Roberts. Above is a closeup of the first carving stage for a cloud at the top of the print. I wanted to reproduce the crosshatching look of 17th century wood engraving without actually engraving, so I just criss-crossed freehand with a v-gouge. After I took the photo above I went back in and widened the cuts, leaving little diamond shapes that will print.

BackgroundBlock

The cloud is on the same block as the full background, but I found that the cloud and the background required very different treatments to print the way I wanted them to print, so I printed just the cloud first. I bought a cool little bamboo burnisher at the SGC Philadelphia conference, and I found it was perfect for bringing out the details of the cloud.

BambooBurnisher
ThumbGroove

The burnisher has a comfortable groove for the thumb -- I love it!

CloudPrinted

Above is the cloud printed in a deep red oxide.

Background1Printed

Then I did a sloppy printing of the background with paler red oxide and some streaks of blue. I wanted some messy texture that I'll then overprint with some smoother layers. I got that sort of glow around the cloud by using a whole lot of water in that area.

9 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Cunning burnisher! I was looking with curiousity and interest at a bamboo pot scraper in a kitchen store and see now it would make a burnisher almost like yours! Going back there soon to pick one up.

Sam said...

Awesome. I love the engraving effect!

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

it looks so good...and technically it looks superb...wonderful expression of the cloud, the texture....I´m looking forward to this print and sending good vibrations to the process....and for your day Annie...have a nice day...

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Gorgeous! Love the progress.

Melody Knight Leary said...

I love the contrast between the textural quality of the cloud and the loose washy character of the background. Can't wait to see the progression of this print. By the way, really neat little burnisher!

Jeff Dean said...

Clouds are my favorite subject in woodcut -- though I am very, very far away from perfecting them in my own work. But I love to watch the masters, and you are definitely a master. Beautiful work!

Ellen Shipley said...

I'm with Jeff. I'm fascinated with clouds in woodcut, but I'm no where near grokking them yet. Your cross cross cuts are so gutsy.

And I love your burnisher!

Kim Rosen said...

I love the texture of the clouds and the glow is perfect. I love seeing your process Annie.

Melissa West said...

Ooh-- I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. This is such an interesting series! And I too love the burnisher. Nice find. :)