08 July 2005
Daibutsu Test Print
Here's a test print of the three Kamakura Daibutsu blocks. I see some places that need work with the knife and I want to adjust the colors a bit, but I'm very pleased overall. This isn't the paper that I'm going to use for the final print; I plan to use Rives Heavyweight, which is what my teacher Matt Brown uses. This is some Canson paper that I got at my local art store. They told me that it was for printmaking and could be dampened, but I tried it on a failed print (that I'll tell you about later!) and didn't care for it. The texture seems too rough to me, it fell apart under the pressure of the baren and it didn't take moisture evenly. But I'm using it for proofing because I can't stand to waste it.
I plan to print the full edition sometime next week, so I hope you'll check back then to see the final print.