30 August 2005

The Next Step

In July I signed up for a Baren Forum print exchange. In these exchanges, which are open only to members of the forum, groups of thirty participants make editions of thirty prints each and exchange them with each other. It's a neat way to collect prints and also to learn by seeing up close what other printmakers do. You can see work from past exchanges here. The exchange I'm participating in has no theme and a required paper size of 10" x 15". The final prints are due by November 1.

I've been thinking that I'd like to do one more print for myself before I start working on my exchange print, mostly because I need the practice. Since many of my fellow exchange participants are very accomplished woodblock artists, I want to do my very best. This will be a large print for me to handle and although I have done an edition of over 30 (the "Breathing Buddha" print), it was a small print and had only 3 colors.

I have a concept and a working title for my exchange print, and I know it will be a night scene, but I haven't actually sketched it out yet. I need to order some supplies, so while I'm waiting for those to arrive I'm hoping to do a print of the illustration below. It's another digital piece I did for Illustration Friday and I've always wanted to see it as a woodblock print.



After the "Power of Tea" print I had decided that never again would I try to duplicate a digital illustration in woodblock, but I know myself well enough now to know that never never means never. I've had a lot of illustration work on my desk lately, so it's possible that I won't have time to do this, but it's my plan. Thanks for checking in...

2 comments:

Cin said...

one of my very favorite of your illustrations so looking forward to seeing this translated to block print!

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,

My name is Avi and I have found your blog while looking for a certain image over the net,

you are doing a wonderful work in your woodprint and not less in this blog and thank you for sharing your work with the world.

I would like to get your premission to use one of the images you present in your blog for my new web site.

I would appreciate if you contact me to my email at avi_bachar@yahoo.com

Best Regards
Avi Bachar
Life & Business
Personal Coach