18 August 2006

OK, Not Intaglio

So I took my leather punch (looks kind of like an ice pick) and scratched a bunch of lines onto the block that already had the circles carved into it. Nothing planned out, just went straight at the wood with the point of the tool, trying to make marks like a stray electron would make. It was difficult because the grain of the wood wanted to pull the tool in one direction only. I made the marks lightly at first so the grain wouldn't fight me so hard and then went back over them more deeply once I had scored the wood. Then I put down some blue pigment like I did the first time, using the maru bake to drive the ink down into the scratched lines. I lightly wiped some of the ink off the block and here's what printed: 

You can see that the incised lines didn't fill with ink and print darker the way I thought they would. Instead, they printed as thin white lines with darker ink around them. Here's a closeup: 

I put down a layer of yellow then, to see if the lines would stay white or change: 

The lines pretty much stayed white, but got even darker around the edges. I wouldn't call this intaglio, but these lines are taking the ink differently and that's what I wanted. I have a few more passes to make, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I know that the wetter the wood gets with subsequent printings, the more the lines will close up. But even if these lines stay white, I feel like I've discovered a different type of mark to add to my repertoire.

4 comments:

belindadelpesco.com said...

Annie, It's such a joy to come in here and peer over your shoulder at these process sots and wonderful experiments... so many ideas, and such inspiration! Thanks for posting all your great work!
Belinda

Anonymous said...

Annie: I love the lines in this print. I also love the subject matter; I've been an on and off again taiji student for about 20 years. I've been following these post and thoroughly enjoy them, as a fellow printmaker it's fascinating to see how my collegues think and work. The process shots are enjoyable. Anyway the main reason I comment here is that I absolutely love the today's shot of the block, what a feast for the eyes, and (not meaning to patronize but...)only another printmaker would understand and the appreciate quality of the wood and the carving...PPC

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,
I love your work! It should be seen in Europe, where art appreciation runs so deep, as I have learned from choreographers, writers, and other artists

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome! The marks are acting like drypoint marks on a copper plate!