23 September 2023

Irene - a paper quilt

Since I told you about making momigami with washi and konnyaku a few posts ago, I thought I'd follow up and show you what I ended up doing with it. I wanted to try making a paper quilt with the idea that if it was successful I would make a whole series of them for my series "I Was a 20th Century Lesbian."

I began by printing colors on some washi and treating them with konyaku to make momigami.



 

I created a full-size pattern and began to construct the quilt front, a disco ball emitting colored rays. These were pieced using a sewing machine just as if I were working with fabric.


 
I added some sparkly acrylic paint to make the disco ball shiny.


Then I worked on the background for the ball, the colored starburst rays.

I printed squares and whiskey bottles and glasses on a single sheet of washi for the backing, also treated with konnyaku and made into momigami.



I then used cotton batting between the two sides, hand quilted them, and put a binding around the perimeter. Here is the front and back of the finished quilt.
 

 
The quilt's namesake, Irene, brought me to my first gay dance club in 1976, a venue in Troy NY called Zelda. Irene also introduced me to Jack Daniels whiskey, a relationship that lasted longer than my relationship with Irene and that ultimately became toxic.

4 comments:

Anita Thomhave Simonsen said...

dear annie......I am not using my own blog that much, but just wanted to have a lokk and noticed that your blogpost wasn´t that old....so I just say hello again...and nice to read about what you work with....a smile from me

Anita from denmark ( in case it doesn´t show up....)..

CS said...

Hi Annie, I love this piece! Thank you for sharing about your process.
Have you thought about possibly teaching a workshop on making momigami with washi and konnyaku? I would attend!

Carrie

Annie B said...

Anita! So nice to hear from you. I hope you're well in Denmark! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.

Annie B said...

Hi Carrie. I actually hadn't thought of doing a workshop because I haven't done very much momigami, but maybe that shouldn't stop me! :)