02 October 2007

Iceberg Blocks

Melting#2Carved

This print, at least as I've conceived of it, is a simple three-block three-color print. Of course, once I start the printing, it may not be as simple as I imagine. I wanted to experiment with overprinting and I wanted to do something simple in order to test out my new studio space. Carving is something I feel comfortable doing almost anywhere, but I find that printing is much more demanding. This print will allow me to do a trial printing run and make sure I have all my systems in place before I move onto more challenging prints.

Now to cut some 13" x 18" paper and dampen it for printing tomorrow.

4 comments:

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

Do you actually cut and not tear it?

Celia Hart said...

I'm looking forward to seeing these prints - the blocks remind me of the broken sea-ice we saw from the plane when we flew to Canada. The amazing patterns in the vivid blues of the sea.

Celia

Annie B said...

Hi Marissa,
Yes, I do cut rather than tear. I guess my years as a graphic designer make it almost second nature to use an x-acto blade to cut things :) Also, a smooth edge works better with the kento registration system. If I were printing out to the edges as you do, I'd definitely tear, though. I love the torn edges in your work.

Celia, that must have been a beautiful sight. I flew over Alaska once and it was breathtaking.

Rachel said...

Wow! What kind of wood do you use? The cuts are so smooth, clean, and delicate...!

When I did some woodcuts for my printmaking class, I used scrap pine, and the cuts chipped and cracked...

Is the cleanliness of your cuts attributable also to your blades? Maybe my blades were slightly dull at the time.....
Hmm...

I looking forward to seeing your proofs!