04 December 2005

Reduction Block


My idea for this print is for the linework to be white. To keep registration problems to a minimum I wanted to use as few blocks as possible, so I'm reducing the first block here to make some cloud-like shapes that will print over the gold and the bokashi.

Speaking of the bokashi, thanks to Mike Lyon and Tom Kristensen both for the great information on bokashi and goma zuri (see comments on previous post). Next on my list of things to do is to get out some scrap paper and practice the methods they describe. I know I'll be really happy when I get some control over my goma zuri.

Here are the impressions I took from the above block:



Mike was so right about the edges of my bokashi being too pronounced. You can see it in the first print above. What happened was that I accidently turned the brush at one point and I ruined some of the prints. I haven't pulled those out yet, though, and unfortunately I haven't been very discriminating about the photos I'm showing here, so some of these photos show the mistake. I guess that makes this blog a good learning tool!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie,

There is an alternative to cutting up your block that will allow you the freedom to go back and start from scratch if you choose to. With simple shapes like these you can cut a paper stencil of the area you would remove. If you sacrifice a print it is very easy to do and will register perfectly if you keep it damp. After you spread your ink on the block drop your stencil down using the kento, then drop your new print on top. The exposed shapes will print with a pleasing soft edge where the stencil sits. With care you can use the stencil many times. I have made a full edition of 25 seagulls using just one stencil.

With the bokashi brush, I have a piece of bright electrical tape stuck to one side of the brush. I know that the tape is always facing me, so I don't have to wonder which way to pick it up.

Annie B said...

Oooh, you're a smart man! I used a stencil once by cutting a shape and placing it on the inked block before laying down the paper. That's probably more properly called a "mask." But it hadn't even occurred to me to do what you've described here. Thank you as always for expanding my thinking.

belindadelpesco.com said...

Annie, This is looking wonderful. I can't wait to see the next post! Keep creating!
Belinda
http://belindadelpesco.blogspot.com